SR3R Project Forum

Discussion and debate for the SR3R Project
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:47 am 
Forum Admin

[[Reserved for Programming rules proposal]]

Before I begin, are there any suggestions for rules that you think should belong here? For myself, here are the big ideas I want to include in the thread:

• There will be two basic types of programs: Decking and Common Use, like in SR4's rules. Common Use programs will be cheap, possibly even free for those with a decent Computer(Search Operations) specialization, whereas Decking programs will be expensive, hard to find and jealously guarded.
  • I'd like the base time to be lower than we see in the canon rules, but with more reliability in the time. This means Thresholds.
  • I'm considering divorcing size, cost and program Rating.
  • Program plans are a keeper.
  • Programming suites and hosts giving bonuses to programming are keepers.
  • Program options we will keep largely as-is. Maybe an extra "Bloat" option... or is that a bug?
  • Programming languages are interesting. I think they may be kept.
  • Bugs need to be part of the programming test, too. Maybe keep them as-is, or improve on them?

Code:
"Common Use" utilities and programs
Rating    Availability                Cost                    SI
1-3        2/1 day         Rating^2 x multiplier x 1 Y     1
4-6        4/3 days        Rating^2 x multiplier x 5 Y     1
7-9        8/7 days        Rating^2 x multiplier x 10 Y   1.5
10+       12/7 days        Rating^2 x multiplier x 25 Y    2

"Decking" utilities and programs
Rating    Availability                Cost                   SI
1-3        4/7 days        Rating^2 x multiplier x 25 Y      1
4-6        6/7 days        Rating^2 x multiplier x 50 Y     1.5
7-9       10/14 days       Rating^2 x multiplier x 125 Y     2
10+    Rating+2/21 days    Rating^2 x multiplier x 250 Y     3

Forum Admin

The Program Plan

Even if it's nothing more than a drawing on a paper napkin, or a general idea or framework in programmer's mind, successful programmers always make a plan when writing a complex program. A character rolls his Program Design Knowledge skill such as Combat Utility Design, Operational Utility Design, etc (see Matrix, p. 25). The test has a TN equal to 4[2]C *, applying modifiers from the Program Planning Table (Matrix p. 79), plus the additional modifier that "Common Use" programs have a -1 TN modifier.

*Again, using notation of TN Target Number[Threshold]{C}. "C" means that successes are cumulative, that you can "keep" successes from one test to another and add them together.

The base time for this test is a number of hours equal to the program’s rating, + 1 for each option, multiplied by the program’s size multiplier. A program plan requires a number of Mp equal to the program’s size + 10 (round down). Extra successes can be used to reduce the base time or to reduce the chance of Flaws (see Flaws in the Options, Flaws, and Bugs section below.)

Forum Admin

[[Reserved for Programming rules proposal]]Programming Test

Forum Admin

[[Reserved for Programming rules proposal]] --Program Options

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:48 am 
Forum Admin

[[Reserved for Programming rules proposal]] --Programming Languages

Forum Admin

Options, Flaws, and Bugs

Program Options

[[List is in Matrix; this is just to confirm that we are using these rules.]]

Program Flaws and Bugs

As the ancient proverb goes, "All hardware sucks, all software sucks... but some suck more than others." There are two general ways for programs to suck in SR3R: Flaws and Bugs. Flaws are program errors that are fundamental to the program. These errors come from a failure in the Program Plan, and fixing them generally require completely redesigning the code from scratch. Bugs, on the other hand, result from mistakes made during the Programming phase. These errors are somewhat easier to fix, in that they can potentially be found by Debugging (see Bugs below), though they can sometimes be more difficult to spot in the first place, and thus harder to catch.

Program Options

Program Flaws

Whenever a program plan is created,

Program Bugs

Forum Admin

[[Reserved for Programming rules proposal]] --Other: programming BTLs, agent/pilot/IC Options, programming on-the-fly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:44 am 
Forum Admin

Quote:
I'm considering divorcing size, cost and program Rating.

Why?

I also still think there should be something telling deckers not to share their software. It could be as simple as a line saying 'don't share your software', or a hard rule that for every X number of people who get a copy, the program rating decreases by 1 as SysAdmins notice the tools and begin to patch relevant security holes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:59 pm 
Forum Admin

nezumi wrote:
Quote:
I'm considering divorcing size, cost and program Rating.
Why?
You know, I don't remember anymore. It seemed silly to me for some reason, but I forgot why.

Quote:
I also still think there should be something telling deckers not to share their software. It could be as simple as a line saying 'don't share your software', or a hard rule that for every X number of people who get a copy, the program rating decreases by 1 as SysAdmins notice the tools and begin to patch relevant security holes.
Absolutely, and probably the latter. I'm considering (Rating)/2.

Oh, and if you sell too many of someone else's software you'll end up with the RIAA shooting you in the face. :)